Kevin Hart Controversy: 2019 Oscars Forge Ahead Without A Host
For the first time in 30 years, the Academy Awards will not have a host as it is reported that the show producers will select various celebrities to introduce different segments of the awards ceremony on Sunday, February 24, instead of a traditional host.
The decision comes after controversy surrounding the decade-old homophobic tweets posted by previously announced host Kevin Hart.
The actor had apologised and step down as host of this year’s Oscars ceremony after the posts were brought to light.
Meanwhile, Variety reports that producers will select a crop of A-listers to introduce various segments instead of relying on one marquee name to kick things off in a monologue filled with Trump zingers.
It quoted insiders as saying that the producers and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences – the group behind the Oscars – are scrambling to line up top talent needed to carry the telecast, which is just six weeks from airing live from Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre.
It should be also noted that after Hart participated in an interview on Ellen Degeneres’ talk show, rumors swirled that the producers would reinstate Hart as the show host.
But Hart denied those reports on Wednesday in a “Good Morning America” interview, when he said he’s done explaining the homophobic tweets.
“I’m over it,” he said multiple times in the interview, adding that “there’s no more conversation about it” and said he’s “said everything I can possibly say.”
The last time the Oscars aired without a host was in 1989.