INEC Deletes Names Of 300,000 Nigerians During Voter Register Purge
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has disclosed that it had deleted over 300,000 names from the voter register, adding that it will on Tuesday, November 6, publish the voter register across the 120,000 polling units across the nation.
The INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, said this during a meeting with a delegation of election administrators from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
According to him: “As at today, over 300,000 names have been dropped after the automatic fingerprints identification system.”
Yakubu further urged members of the public to assist the commission in purging the register of ineligible voters such as illegal aliens and underage voters.
He said, “Between November 6 and November 12, we shall display the register of voters nationwide for claims and objections.”
The INEC boss said the commission had been purging the voter register of some irregular registrations, adding that over 300,000 had been removed as of last week.
Yakubu added, “For the registered voters, we have been cleaning up on our own with the help of the Automatic Fingerprint Identification System. As of last week before I travelled, I was told that over 300,000 names were dropped after the fingerprint system was used.
“But cleaning up the register is not just the responsibility of the commission but the responsibility of every Nigerian and that is why the law says we should display the register for claims and objections which will be done between November 6 and 12 in the 120,000 polling units nationwide.
“And I will like to seize this opportunity to appeal to citizens to check when we display the register so that they can draw the attention of the commission to the prevalence of any ineligible persons so that we can further clean up the register.”