Some human food can be dangerous to your pets. It is best to know some of your favourite foods that you should never feed to your pet if your intention is to keep them healthy and happy.
There is a high chance that when you are having a tasty snack; your pet looks up at you with those adorable eyes that tempts you to want to toss them a bite. You love your pet and you like to show them how much you love them by giving them special treats, but not all foods are safe.
Some human foods are dangerous for pets, resulting in stomach upset, seizures, even death. Here’s a list of common human foods that you should never feed your pet.
Chocolate contains a compound known as theobromine which is toxic to dogs and cats. Theobromine can cause hyperactivity, cardiac arrhythmia, seizures, or even death. Theobromine is present in large quantities in darker chocolate but even milk and white chocolate are dangerous.
Coffee, tea, soda
Dogs and cats are more sensitive to caffeine than humans, so even small amounts can make them excitable and jittery. Large doses of caffeine can cause heart arrhythmia, seizures, vomiting, diarrhoea, and even coma. Drinks, snacks, and medicine containing caffeine should be kept away from pets.
While it may seem strange, cooked bones are dangerous treats for your pet. They splinter easily and can puncture delicate gastrointestinal tissue, leading to a life-threatening condition called peritonitis that occurs when intestinal contents leak into the abdominal cavity. This condition can only be treated with surgery.
Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins are healthy for humans but can make dogs and cats very sick. Pets can develop severe kidney damage after eating grapes or raisins, which can lead to kidney failure and even death.
While not every dog or cat will experience kidney problems, but since there’s no way of knowing if your pet will get sick, it’s best to avoid grapes and raisins altogether.
Xylitol, a popular artificial sweetener commonly found in sugar-free candy and gum, is extremely dangerous for dogs and cats, as it can increase insulin levels in these animals and cause a severe drop in blood glucose.
If not treated immediately, pets will develop hypoglycemic seizures and go into shock. Symptoms usually begin unexpectedly and will result in death without medical intervention.
While some people think garlic is safe for pets or that the benefits outweigh the risks, ingestion of garlic can be deadly to dogs and cats. It results in the formation of particles called Heinz bodies on red blood cells, causing the liver to see the normal red blood cells as damaged then filter them out of circulation.
This results in low red blood cell count or anaemia, which can cause lethargy, difficulty in breathing, and death.
Avocados are safe for cats and dogs but are toxic to birds and large animals like cows. The fruit contains a compound – persin – which causes difficulty breathing, swelling, anorexia in pet birds, and mastitis and digestive problems in goats, sheep, cattle, and horses.