Nigerian Takes Monkeypox To UK – Britain Records First Ever Case Of The Disease
Doctors in the UK have recorded the first ever case of monkeypox, a rare disease which can be fatal, and passengers on a flight to Britain from Nigeria this week are being contacted following the discovery.
The rare viral infection was found on Saturday in a Nigerian citizen who is being treated at the Royal Free Hospital in London after being diagnosed while staying at a naval base in Cornwall, Public Health England said.
It was gathered that the Nigerian patient – yet to be identified – who is believed to have contracted the infection in Nigeria before travelling to the UK on September 2, was taken to the expert infectious disease unit at the Royal Free Hospital in London on Saturday morning.
Public Health England also sought to reassure Britons that monkeypox does not spread easily and most patients recover within a few weeks with no lasting effects.
The health agency said:
The patient was staying at a naval base in Cornwall prior to transfer to the expert infectious disease unit at the Royal Free Hospital, London where they are now receiving appropriate care.
The patient is a resident of Nigeria, which is where they are believed to have contracted the infection, before travelling to the UK.
What is monkeypox?
- Monkeypox is usually a mild self-limiting illness and most people recover within a few weeks, however severe illness can occur in some individuals
- It is a rare disease caused by monkeypox virus, and has been reported mainly in central and west African countries
- The infection can be spread when someone is in close contact with an infected person, however there is a very low risk of transmission to the general population
- Initial symptoms include fever, headache, muscle aches, backache, swollen lymph nodes, chills and exhaustion
- A rash can develop, often beginning on the face, then spreading to other parts of the body. The rash changes and goes through different stages before finally forming a scab, which later falls off