17 Soldiers Killed, Weapons Stolen In Multiple Boko Haram Attacks On Military Formations
At least one officer and 16 soldiers are reported dead with many others injured after a roadside ambush and two gunfire attacks reported earlier this week on troops in the volatile North-east region of Nigeria.
In a daring continuation of Boko Haram’s renewed rampage against military targets that escalated with the raiding of two formations last week, Premium Times is quoting top military sources as saying that on the aftermath of each of the three attacks executed over a five-day span, the insurgents also carted away valuable military hardware, including anti-aircraft gun trucks, Toyota Hilux trucks and at least one armoured personnel carrier.
It added that the increasingly frequent attacks seemed to have greatly unsettled the military leadership in recent days, and may have been responsible for the recent redeployment of top commanders overseeing the counter-insurgency operations to the disappointment being felt at the Defence Headquarters.
360nobs had reported that four soldiers and two policemen where among the 13 persons killed while many others sustained gun wounds when suspected Boko Haram insurgents attacked a military formation in Borno on Thursday evening.
Sahara Reporters also gathered that the militants beseiged Jakana in military fatigue at about 6pm and attacked the army base and a police station, raining bullets on the structures and razing the police station, leaving many travellers trapped.
But Premium Times said on July 24, soldiers on patrol in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State encountered Boko Haram attackers in Yajiwa-Kaffa axis. One officer and six soldiers were killed while 14 other members of the team, including two local hunters, were seriously injured in the gunfire that erupted, military sources said.