LONDON EVENING STANDARD
- Former France international Bacary Sagna has said that criticism of Paul Pogba’s performances for club and country comes from the shackles placed on the midfielder by his managers.
- Chelsea’s chances of keeping Thibaut Courtois are expected to be given a major lift as Real Madrid close in on the signing of Roma keeper Alisson.
MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS
- Manchester City will resist offers to sign Ilkay Gundogan this summer. Barcelona and Inter Milan are reportedly interested in the midfielder.
- Napoli have been told they have a month to pay Jean Michael Seri’s release clause if they want to fix a price with Nice.
- Manchester United are still to finalise personal terms with Fred, despite agreeing a £52m deal for the Brazilian international. MEN Sport understands there are no major concerns as negotiations with Fred’s representatives continue, with just the final details to be concluded. His work permit is also believed to have been secured.
- Roma owner James Palotta has been forced to go public and deny Alisson’s move to Real Madrid is imminent.
- Marco Silva wants “balance” in the Everton squad this season and says age is no barrier to selection.
- Chancel Mbemba has his heart set on a summer move to FC Porto. However, the Newcastle United centre-back is now waiting for the green light from his current employers to make the deal a reality.
- Peterborough director of football Barry Fry claims that Sunderland did make a late bid to hijack their deal to sign Jason Naismith.
- New owner Stewart Donald says that there is a lot happening behind the scenes at Sunderland as the club embarks on a difficult squad rebuild.
- West Brom director Richard Garlick has defended the release clause that allowed Jonny Evans to join Leicester City for just £3.5 million.
- Jack Butland headed to Russia with a pre-World Cup boost for Stoke City by re-iterating his reluctance to make a sideways move out of the club – even if it meant an instant return to the Premier League. But the England goalkeeper remains understandably keener on a move to a Liverpool or an Arsenal if an offer was to materialise from their recent interest.
- Blackburn defender Paul Downing admits his turnaround in fortunes shows just how everything can happen in football.
WEST LONDON SPORT
- Steve McClaren says he does not expect much transfer activity at QPR this summer.
- Derby County transfer target Jay Dasilva has been linked with one Rams’ Championship rivals Brentford.
- Nottingham Forest’s negotiations to sign Costel Pantilimon are dragging on – but the club remain hopeful of agreeing a deal to bring the keeper back to the City Ground.
THE PINK UN
- Norwich City’s pursuit of German striker Marvin Ducksch could be back on. Ducksch’s proposed move from St Pauli to Fortuna Dusseldorf has broken down with the two clubs poles apart in their valuation of the 24-year-old.
THE BOLTON NEWS
- Connor Hall is targeting a league debut for Bolton next season – and another hatful of goals.
- Blackpool manager Gary Bowyer spoke of his delight at the club’s capture of Jordan Thompson, a midfielder he believes has “loads of potential”.
- Brighton have renewed their interest in Iran’s World Cup ace Alireza Jahanbakhsh. But The Argus understands the AZ Alkmaar winger’s soaring value could scupper a deal.
- Chris Wilder is convinced the lure of playing at Bramall Lane can give Sheffield United a vital edge in the transfer market this summer.
- Sean Clare’s contract impasse at Sheffield Wednesday looks to have taken another turn. Clare, who is out of contract this summer, has been heavily linked with Aston Villa, but Villa’s head of domestic recruitment Tony Coton has left the club to join Sunderland.
- Chairman Dean Hoyle is delighted with Huddersfield Town’s summer recruitment policy so far as the club continue to work hard to get further deals done.