MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS
- Sampdoria coach Stefano Rapetti is in England finalising the details of a move to Manchester United, to become a key part of Jose Mourinho’s backroom staff following the departure of Rui Faria. The two worked together at Inter.
- With Fred’s transfer close to completion, United are in the hunt for a second central midfielder as they prepare to lose Marouane Fellaini. They are interested in Roma’s Lorenzo Pellegrini and Nice’s Jean-Michel Seri.
- Manchester City are back in the hunt for Riyad Mahrez, as well as Napoli midfielder Jorginho, before the World Cup. Boss Pep Guardiola wants to get the club’s transfer business done early, to ensure his side start strongly in their defence of the Premier League title.
- Timo Werner has spoken out on rumours he is considering the World Cup an audition for a summer transfer to Liverpool. The German forward says he will remain committed to his current club, Red Bull Leipzig, after the tournament concludes.
- Liverpool have signed a lucrative new sponsorship deal with Standard Chartered, extending their existing deal with the bank until 2023. Their previous deal was worth around £30m per year, but the value of the extension has not been announced.
- Everton have started an academy shake-up by releasing at least eight players, including Under-18s captain Tom Scully. Stephen Duke-McKenna, who was in Everton’s squad for their Europa League game at Apollon Limassol in December, is also leaving.
- Leighton Baines has no intention of leaving Everton despite being linked with a move to the MLS. The 33-year-old, who is about to enter the final year of his contract, wants to stay and work with the club’s new manager – tipped to be former Watford head coach Marco Silva.
- Unai Emery is expecting to make only small changes to the Arsenal squad to get them back in the Champions League, with only a net £50m available for the club to strengthen.
- Maurizio Sarri is waiting to see whether Chelsea make him an offer to become their next manager, days after he left Napoli. Sarri has already been offered a contract by Zenit St Petersburg, but would prefer a move to Stamford Bridge – where Antonio Conte remains in post.
- Jamie Vardy has admitted interest from Arsenal was on his mind when he was away with England at Euro 2016. The Gunners activated a £20m release clause in his Leicester City contract that summer, but he turned the deal down and instead signed improved terms with the Foxes.
- Victor Wanyama has ruled out leaving Tottenham, despite managing just eight Premier League starts in 2017/18, partly due to injury. Liverpool and Manchester United have been linked with the Kenyan’s signature.
- Fulham want to sign £15m-rated Aleksander Mitrovic this summer, who is on loan from Newcastle, but convincing the Serbian striker to stay at Craven Cottage will depend on whether the club is promoted in Saturday’s Championship play-off final.
- Tottenham are hopeful their strong connections with Ajax will help them to net defender Matthijs de Ligt this summer, as they prepare to lose Toby Alderweireld. The 18-year-old would cost Spurs more than the £42m club record fee they spent on Davinson Sanchez last summer.
- Ayoze Perez has pledged his future to Newcastle, despite interest from fellow Premier League and Spanish clubs. Real Betis, who finished sixth in La Liga this season, are among those keeping tabs on the 24-year-old.
- Sunderland owner Stewart Donald will jet to Monaco this weekend to attempt to persuade a big-money investor to join his new regime in the North East.
- West Brom’s search for a permanent technical director remains at an early stage, after bringing in Giuliano Terraneo to assist in the recruitment of a new head coach and re-structure of the squad on a contract which ends in September.
- Darren Moore is set to complete his line-up of backroom staff for the Baggies next week, and is keen to have a number two in place before he discusses his players’ future with them.
- Tony Mowbray says Blackburn Rovers are looking at players in the mould of Bradley Dack, and are also hopeful to add some Championship experience to their squad before kicking off next season.
- Leicester City will reportedly get close to their January asking price for Riyad Mahrez when his move to Manchester City goes through, thanks to an offer of £60m up-front and £15m in add-ons.
YORKSHIRE EVENING POST
- Carpi’s president has revealed Leeds have until June 30 to complete a deal with striker Jerry Mbakogu, with the 25-year-old the subject of a £3.5m offer.
- Nottingham Forest may have missed out on signing Algerian international striker El Arbi Hillel Soudani, who is said to be close to joining Saudi Arabian side Al-Ahli, and has cooled talk of previously saying it would be a “dream” to play in England.
- Notts County are ready to splash the cash to sign a proven striker this summer, having released Jonathan Forte this week. Owner Alan Hardy confirmed the Magpies would be prepared to pay fees for new signings before the start of next season.
- David Perkins has left Wigan Athletic to join Rochdale, despite being offered a 12-month extension with the newly promoted Championship side.
- Out-of-contract defender Colin Daniel has left Blackpool to sign for League 1 rivals Peterborough on a free transfer. The Seasiders confirmed they were looking to keep the 30-year-old.
- Brighton want to bring Inigo Calderon back to the Amex to take a permanent off-the-field role in Sussex.
- Sheffield Wednesday’s pursuit of West Ham defender Reece Burke could be held up by newly appointed Hammers boss Manuel Pellegrini, who is understood to want to run the rule over his squad during pre-season.
- Terence Kongolo has revealed Huddersfield Town want to re-sign him for their second season in the Premier League.