The Government of Ekiti State has uncovered fresh cases of Lassa fever, which has claimed the lives of three persons.
The victims were a patient who tested positive to the disease, and two others who had contact with the deceased.
The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Rotimi Ojo, who addressed reporters on Tuesday in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital, said five of the eight suspected cases tested negative while one was uncertain and the last one pending at press time last night.
The Commissioner, however, stressed that there was no cause for alarm, noting that the state government was taking proactive steps in surveillance activities that would involve all residents due to some recorded cases and deaths in neighbouring states.
Ojo assured that the State Disease Control team had been activated, while the process of sensitising the people with jingles, adverts and other communication media were ongoing.
He said similar actions taken during the 2016 outbreak were successful, adding that the epidemic was controlled and the identified patient, who was properly managed, survived.
According to him, the three isolation centres at Ido Federal Teaching Hospital in Ido-Ekiti; Oba Adejugbe General Hospital, Ado-Ekiti and the Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital in Ado-Ekiti were still operational.
The commissioner urged stakeholders, including health practitioners, teachers, traditional rulers, religious leaders as well as community and opinion leaders, to join hands with the state government to prevent the spread of the disease.
He advised the people to avoid self-medication and keeping sick people at home.