A Nigerian man has been attacked and almost set ablaze in Rustenberg, north-west province area in South Africa, the Nigerian community leader said on Friday, February 16, 2018.
The President of Nigerian Union, South Africa, Mr Adetola Olubajo, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on telephone that the victim, identified as Desmond, was attacked on February 14.
He said: “Desmond is a Nigerian hair piece hawker in Rustenberg, North West Province of South Africa.
“He was attacked on Feb. 14 and sustained multiple injuries. He was rescued when he was about to be set ablaze after being wet with petrol.’’
Olubajo said Nigerians are living in fear, with abductions becoming rampant.
“Nigerians and their families told us that the situation is very dangerous and that their lives are not safe,” he said.
“There are also allegations that some group of people are abducting Nigerians and requesting money to bail themselves.
“A Nigerian who couldn’t pay was murdered last month. This same group also looted businesses of foreign nationals, Nigerians in particular.”
Olubajo said the union could not continue to keep quiet on this “criminality and xenophobic” act meted to Nigerians in South Africa.
He said the Nigerian mission and government must intervene to avoid further loss of lives and properties of Nigerians.