Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State has filed a suit before a federal high court in Abuja, challenging the decision of his colleagues to approve $1 billion for the fight against insurgency.
Governors of the 36 states had last week approved the withdrawal of $1billion from the Excess Crude Account for the ongoing fight against Boko Haram insurgents in the North-east.
The planned expenditure was made public by the chairman of Governors Forum, Abdulaziz Yari, who said all the state governors had agreed to release the money to the Federal Government.
However, Fayose swiftly dissociated himself from those who agreed, even as he also accused President Muhammadu Buhari of intending to warehouse the money for his reelection bid in 2019.
The governor also told reporters on Tuesday that Ekiti should be given its own share of the $1 billion for its fight against “hunger haram”.
His words: “I’m not in support of $1 billion and will never be in support of it. In my state, we have agreed to go to court to contest this. It is our legitimate right, all accruals to the federation must be shared by the three tiers of government and for me to get justice I have to go to court.”
“I filed the case in court as early as 12 noon today. I have options and I have said it expressly, I have gone to court… I have taken appropriate steps because the money belongs to Ekiti people not to any other use.”
“I did not attend the meeting where the issue was discussed, even if I was part of the meeting I would have made it expressly clear that I will not support it. Every state has its own peculiarities in terms of security. Ekiti state has Hunger Haram… hunger is everywhere. Whatever is in that money, for me we should share it, let everybody go and solve his own problem. I have challenges and they should give me my money. It is Ekiti money.”