Islamic State (IS) has claimed responsibility for the attack, which left more than 100 persons killed and injured earlier on Thursday in Dhi Qar province in Iraq.
“The total death toll of the victims reached 50 persons, while 87 others were wounded,” the health department of the province earlier said in a statement.
However, Kurdistan 24 reports that Iraqi authorities confirmed over 100 people had been killed and wounded in a twin attack in southern Iraq today.
Following the violence, the Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility for a third attack which has yet to be confirmed by officials.
“Sixty people were killed, including Iranian citizens,” said Jasim al-Khalidi, the Director General of Health in the Dhi Qar Province.
Iraqi officials said that a group of gunmen entered a restaurant in Dhi Qar and opened fire.
Two suicide bombers, including one Suicide-Borne Vehicle Improvised Explosive Device (SBVIED), targeted a nearby checkpoint, Iraqi officials told the Associated Press.
Among the casualties are Iranian pilgrims who were sat in the restaurant in the first attack, Iranian media reported. Governor Yahya al-Nassiri of Dhi Qar confirmed the claim with AP.
In a statement on the IS-affiliated Amaq news channel, the group claimed responsibility for the attacks carried out by its suicide fighters, adding it had targeted a restaurant on the Basra road as well.
The death toll is expected to rise, health officials reported.
Violence in the country has surged further with the emergence of Islamic State Sunni extremist militants who proclaimed an “Islamic Caliphate” in Iraq and Syria in 2014.