How 18 Soldiers, 5 UNIMAID Staff, 4 NNPC Workers, 21 Others Died During Boko Haram Attack

share on:
Boko Haram: An injured soldier is being dragged to 23 Brigade medical facility in Yola for further treatment.

A fresh report has emerged with counter tendencies to claims made by the Nigerian Army that it secured the release of some officials kidnapped by Boko Haram jihadists on Tuesday.

The kidnap of oil workers that resulted in the death of 18 soldiers also led to the death of at least 30 other people including some of the kidnap victims.

ALSO READ: Soldiers Rescue Nigerian Oil Workers Kidnapped By Boko Haram Jihadists

Premium Times quoted top sources both within the military and the University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) as saying that the casualty was beyond what was announced by the army, and that none of the oil workers were actually rescued alive.

It was gathered that the more than 48 corpses of persons killed by Boko Haram insurgents during an oil exploration in Lake Chad Basin have been deposited at the mortuary in the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH).

Sources at the UMTH and the Maimalari Army Barrack told The PUNCH that the corpses, which were brought into Maiduguri from the scene of the attack, included 18 soldiers, 15 Civilian JTF, 5 University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) staff and four NNPC drivers.

Also six persons who were wounded in the attack but escaped to somewhere in Yobe State were later found dead and brought to Maiduguri.

Apart from the wounded soldiers admitted to the military hospital in the town, two members of the Civilian JTF were as at Thursday on admission at the UMTH.

The Army, in a press statement on Wednesday by it’s spokesman, Brig. Gen. Sani Usman, had claimed that all the NNPC staff abducted in the Tuesday’s ambush had been rescued.

He said: “On receipt of the information, the Brigade mobilized and sent reinforcement, search and rescue party that include the Armed Forces Special Forces and guides that worked and pursued the terrorists throughout the night.

“So far, they have rescued all the NNPC staff and recovered the corpses of the Officer, 8 soldiers and a civilian who have been evacuated to 7 Division Medical Services and Hospital.”

But investigations revealed that five lecturers from the University of Maiduguri in the exploration team were killed.

Daily Post reports that the funeral prayer of Idris Abubakar Njodi, (one of the Gubio attack victims), held today, Thursday, at the university of Maiduguri Central Mosque.

He was abducted alongside other staff of the University, which include: Dr. Militus J.V, Dr. Solomon N.Y, Mr. Yusuf Ibrahim, Alhaji Kolo, Mr. Daniel Birma and Mr. Manaja N. UBA.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian government has pledged to continue oil exploration the Chad Basin despite the recent Boko Haram attack.

The Minister of State for Petroleum, Ibe Kachikwu, stated this on Thursday.

He said the oil search will continue given the provision of adequate security for the exploration team.

Datboyjerry

Datboyjerry

I am but your herald boy in the art of the pen.. An eccentric Environmental Biologist smouldered in the glorious epiphany of online journalism. If you ever find my article unduly insipid, sue me and i’ll refund you...

Leave a Reply