Nigeria’s Acting President Yemi Osinbajo on Wednesday announced the recovery of another Chibok schoolgirl by the country’s military.
The news which was brought to light at the Federal Executive Council meeting is coming barely 12 days after the release of about 82 abducted girls who were abducted by the dreaded Boko Haram group.
This disclosure was confirmed by Mr Femi Adesina, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, while speaking to State House correspondents in Abuja.
According to him, the affected girl has been brought to Abuja to join her colleagues who were rescued from captivity.
He said: “Yes, at the Federal Executive Council’s meeting, the Vice-President broke the cheering news to members of the cabinet and after that I have also spoken to defence people who confirmed it.
“The details are yet to fully unravel . But in terms of is it true- yes, it is true. I learnt she is already being brought to Abuja, but I have not seen her.”
The presidential aide was optimistic that the remaining Chibok schoolgirls and other Nigerians in captivity would soon be rescued.
He also dismissed the assertion that members of the Boko Haram sect had started regrouping in the Sambisa forest, saying that the Federal Government had the capacity to confront any security challenge arising from any part of the country.
He said: “One thing you can be sure of is that this government has the capacity to confront any security challenge that arises.
“So, if they are regrouping they will be flushed out again.”
“I believe that we have seen the worst of that insurgency. We are in a mopping up process and I believe the mop up would be completed.’’
It would be recalled, 82 girls were recently released by their captors in exchange for five Boko Haram (commanders) suspects held by the federal government.
Twenty one others were released in October last year and another three also regained their freedom, in separate circumstances.