Death Toll In Nigeria’s Meningitis Outbreak Hits 489

share on:
Meningitis: Death Toll Rises To 328 As Nigeria Issues Advisory Note To Citizens

The death toll in the current meningitis outbreak in Nigeria has so far reached 489, the health minister, Isaac Adewole, said on Tuesday, March 11, 2017.

Adewole made this known while speaking during a meeting of State Governors and traditional rulers of the 19 northern states of the country affected by the Meningitis outbreak.

Reactions Trail Gov Yari’s Claim That “God Sent Meningitis To Punish Nigerians For Their Sins”

The meeting was convened by the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar III, to tackle the outbreak of meningitis in the northern region.

During the meeting, he said that 4,637 cases of cerebrospinal meningitis were recorded across the country by Monday.

The minister said among the cases, 171 were confirmed to be the Type C meningitis with Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina, Niger and Kebbi states most affected.

READ MORE: What You Should Know About Meningitis

Adewole, a professor of medicine, said the Federal Government would spend over $1 billion to procure vaccines to eradicate meningitis in the five most affected states in the Northern region.

“Federal needed $1,087 billion to procure vaccines and administer on some 21 million persons against the meningitis in the affected states,” he said.

He added that so far 823,000 doses of conjugated Type C had been delivered to the Federal Government by the UK government, while UNICEF had delivered over 1 million Type A of the vaccines.

This is coming after the disease spread to Delta state, killing one and affecting two others.

Also in the meeting were representatives of WHO, UNICEF, DIFD, NEMA among others.

Datboyjerry

Datboyjerry

I am but your herald boy in the art of the pen.. An eccentric Environmental Biologist smouldered in the glorious epiphany of online journalism.If you ever find my article unduly insipid, sue me and i’ll refund you...

Leave a Reply