Following the recent rampage by militants of Boko Haram sect on a village in northeast Nigeria to steal food and medical supplies, there are fears of imminent attacks from the ferocious Islamic death cult.
According to information from locals and security personnel, on Sunday, dozens of fighters loyal to the faction headed by Abu Musab Al-Barnawi raided Sabon Garin Kimba, some 140 kilometres (88 miles) southwest of the Borno state capital Maiduguri.
Clad in military uniform, the jihadists, it was learnt, arrived in a pick-up – Nigerian Army colours – at about 6:00 pm (1700 GMT) on Friday.
According to the civilian militia assisting troops, the militants, who claimed allegiance to the Barnawi faction, kept telling residents they would not harm anyone as long as no-one got in their way.
Militia member Mustapha Karimbe, who visited the village on Saturday, said that they took away food items and medical supplies from shops and a pharmacy but they didn’t harm anyone.
He said: “The attackers took away food items and medical supplies from shops and a pharmacy but they didn’t harm anyone.
“They kept telling residents they were from the Barnawi faction and would not harm anyone as long as no-one got in their way.”
Karimbe’s account was supported by another member of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) militia, Suleiman Musa.
The Islamic State group last year announced Barnawi was in charge of Boko Haram instead of its long-time leader Abubakar Shekau. Barnawi has criticised Shekau’s indiscriminate violence against civilians.