According to a report, President Muhammadu Buhari has canceled a planned medical trip to London; as he invited his doctors to Nigeria instead for further medical examination.
Nigeria’s 74-year-old leader had travelled to the UK on an extended medical vacation earlier this year before returning 51 days later.
On his return, the president had hinted that he would soon be returning to the UK for further medical examination, with reports saying he might travel tomorrow.
He had said there might be a need “for further follow-up within weeks.”
However, Sahara Reporters is saying that the medical trip has been cancelled.
The online medium added that the president was advised against leaving Nigeria, given the current economic crisis affecting the country.
Instead, medical doctors are expected from London on Friday, March 31 in Abuja to meet with the president in order to carry further examination.
Meanwhile, the minister of information, Lai Mohammed has said that the federal government’s decision to release the medical expenses of President Buhari was on the basis of national security.
He said: “This matter (the President’s medical bill) has come several times and our position on the matter is quite straight forward.
“What are the President’s conditions of service? What are his entitlements in terms of his well-being and health care? The state is supposed to take responsibility for these.
“We believe that asking for how much has been spent on the health of the President is an issue that we should weigh very well both for national security and also for moral issues. I don’t know why we must divulge such very sensitive information”