The former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, will face trial along with four others in London for alleged corrupt practices.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commision, EFCC, has also disclosed a list of assets linked to Diezani. The trial has been fixed for June the EFCC is to provide evidence, including court order of final forfeiture of $153million allegedly traced to the ex-minister.
According to a source in the anti-graft agency, the agency is set for the trial.
The source said: “The UK investigators have gone far on the allegations against Diezani. From the records made available, the ex-minister and four others will face trial as from June.”
“We have taken more evidence to the UK, including all court records relating to the final forfeiture of $153million. We have a huge pile of documents.”
Meanwhile, the EFCC has also denied that it was negotiating a deal with Diezani.
“The EFCC is set for the trial of the ex-minister at home and abroad. It is curious to be talking of a curious negotiation with someone who has a prima facie case to answer.”
“The ex-minister has forfeited $153m; we have had far-reaching investigation on her involvement in the $115m poll bribery scandal; we have seized some of her choice properties and she has consistently maintained that she is ready for trial. So, what is the basis for negotiation when we have a good case?” The source said.
The National Crime Agency (NCA) had arrested Mrs. Alison-Madueke on October 2, 2015 alongside four others, including her siblings Messrs Abiye Agama and Somye Agama, for alleged bribery and corruption and money laundering. The two are directors of Hadley Petroleum Solutions Limited, a company allegedly used for money laundering. Other directors are Ugonna Madueke and Abu Fari.
The list of assets linked with Mrs Dieziani Alison-Madueke released by the EFCC is as follows:
- A block of six units service apartments on Awolowo Road, Ikoyi
- Six units terrace flats in Yaba, Lagos Mainland
- Twin four-bedroom duplexes in Lekki Phase I
- Two duplexes on Banana Island
- A duplex in Asokoro District, Abuja
- A mini-estate in Mabushi, Abuja
- A set of 12 terrace duplexes at Omaremi Street in Port Harcourt
- Large expanse of land at Oniru, Victoria Island in Lagos
- A multi-billion Naira estate in Yenagoa
- Two apartments in Dubai marked as J5 Emirates Hills (30million Dirham) and E146 Emirates Hills valued at 44million Dirham
- A hotel in Port Harcourt under investigation
- $37.5m mansion on Banana Island in Lagos.