Prominent Nigerian musician, Innocent ‘Tuface’ Idibia, has announced the cancellation of his planned protest against the federal government – scheduled for Monday 6th February, 2017.
The “African Queen” crooner, in a short video issued late Saturday, cited a possible hijack of the protest by interest that doesn’t align to their ideas, as the rationale behind the cancellation.
— Sahara Reporters (@SaharaReporters) February 4, 2017
The cancellation is also coming barely a day after the Nigerian Police Force issued a ‘cautionary’ statement as regards to the planned protest.
Dear Nigerians!!! Due to security concerns and public safety consideration. I hereby announce… https://t.co/35HsVCQGfB
— IG: @official2baba (@official2baba) February 4, 2017
In a statement issued on Friday evening from the Force Headquarters in Abuja and signed by police spokesman, Jimoh Moshood, the police said there was credible intelligence that the demonstration could turn violent.
The full statement by the police read below:
RE- PLANNED PROTESTS OF TUFACE AND OTHER OPPOSING GROUPS SCHEDULED FOR 5TH AND 6TH FEBRUARY, 2017, IN LAGOS AND OTHER STATES
The attention of the Nigeria Police Force has been drawn to publications in the media on the planned protests slated for 5th and 6th February, 2017 in Lagos and other States by different groups, one to be led by the popular musician INNOCENT IDIBIA aka TUFACE and other opposing groups.
- Nigeria Police Force is deeply concerned with the security implications with regard to the planned protest/demonstrations, and as the lead security Agency in the country, is fully aware and recognizes the constitutional rights of every citizen (including Tuface and his group) to assemble and move freely in any part of the country.
- In this regard, the Force is also cognizant of its constitutional responsibilities of taking any proactive/ preventive security measures:-
- In the interest of public safety, public order, public morality or public health.
- For the purposes of protecting lives and property, as well as the constitutional rights and freedom of other citizens.
- The Nigeria Police Force is currently in possession of credible intelligence reports that other interest groups are equally planning to hold a counter protest/matches on the same days at the same places/cities as the Tuface Group. If these various planned protests/ demonstrations are held as scheduled, that there may be breakdown of law and order, with attendant loss of lives and property.
- To this end, the Nigeria Police Force deems it imperative to issue this press release:-
- That Innocent Idibia (a.k.a Tuface) and his group are hereby advised strongly to shelve their planned peaceful protest/demonstration in the interest of peace and security.
- That the other opposing groups are equally advised strongly to shelve its planned counter protest/demonstration in the interest of peace and security.
iii. That the Nigeria Police Force is prepared to employ every possible legal means for the maintenance of law and order; and for the protection of lives and property.
- Consequently, members of the public, parents and guardians, religious/opinion leaders and other interest groups are strongly advised to prevail on their children and wards, followers and adherents not to allow themselves to be used by any group to cause disturbance of public peace and break down of law and order.
CSP. JIMOH MOSHOOD
FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER,
Video culled from Sahara Reporters