An Egyptian criminal court has added ex-football star Mohamed Aboutrika to a terror list, his lawyer said on Tuesday, for alleged links to the now-banned Muslim Brotherhood group.
The Former Pharaohs of Egypt forward, who is considered one of the greatest football players in the country, is accused of financially supporting the Brotherhood, which Egypt considers a terrorist organisation.
Egypt has listed the Brotherhood as a terrorist organization and jailed thousands of its supporters since the military removed Islamist president Mohamed Mursi from office in July 2013 following mass protests against his rule.
A committee established to seize and manage Brotherhood properties and funds had previously frozen the former player’s assets.
Under the country’s anti-terrorism law, any person placed on a terror list is subject to a travel ban and faces having their passports and assets frozen.
Aboutrika’s lawyer Mohamed Osman said that the criminal court decision was “illegal” because his client “has not been convicted” in any criminal case, which is a precondition for placement on terror lists.
Aboutrika has denied supporting the Brotherhood, which maintains that it is peaceful, but was seen as supporting the former president’s election campaign in 2012.
Egypt, the Arab world’s most populous nation, is facing an increasingly violent insurgency in Northern Sinai, where the country’s most active militant group has pledged its allegiance to the militant group ISIS.
The country’s current terror list contains over 1500 names, including top Brotherhood leaders convicted of violent crime.
These include Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi; organisation chief Mohamed Badie; owner of the Juhayna dairy company, businessman Safwan Thabet; Chairman of the Islamist Wasat Party Abul Ela Mady and his deputy among others.