At least 21 persons have been feared dead with 22 others in the hospital after consuming ‘Odontol’, a locally produced alcoholic drink that can often be toxic in Cameroon, state radio said on Tuesday.
According to CRTV, the 22 other persons have been rushed to the hospital in the eastern town of Abong-Bang.
“When I see you (my) eyes start turning,” Angeline, one of those hospitalised in Abong-Bang and who had consumed just “two glasses” of odontol, told CRTVC.
It was gathered that 18 people died in the commune of Mindourou while three others in Abong-Bang after consuming “the cursed drink called odontol“.
Women were also said to be victims of the local gin ‘carnage’.
Following the causalities recorded, the authorities in the affected areas of eastern Cameroon banned the production and sale of the drink.
Odontol is produced from palm wine, sugar and tree bark and sold outside of traditional shops at a low price. The alcohol content varies, and it can often be powerful.