There are strong indications that the former Spokesperson to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Reuben Abati, ‘is willing to refund N5 million out of the N50 million he received from a former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki.’
Premium Times gathered that during interrogation, Abati admitted to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that he got N50 million from Dasuki but could only afford to return N5 million.
Sources at the anti-graft agency revealed that Mr. Abati offered to refund N5 million to the government on Monday night.
However, he failed to supply the anti-graft commission with records of how the N50 million was disbursed, a source said.
READ ALSO: EFCC Grants Bail To Reuben Abati
Abati, a columnist, was held in custody last week when he reported at the EFCC headquarters.
The federal government said the money was part of $2.1 billion earmarked for the purchase of arms for the fight against Boko Haram.
The ex-spokesman was granted an administrative bail last week.
He has, however, been unable to meet the bail requirements, which included presenting a senior federal civil servant —from the level of a director— as surety.
“He may be released in the coming days despite his refusal to fully cooperate with us,” one EFCC source said.