The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has assured all eligible prospective corps members (PCMs) that it has made all necessary arrangements to ensure that they are mobilized in the next service year.
This disclosure was made in Abuja on Wednesday by the Director General of the NYSC, Brigadier-General Suleiman Kazaure at a media parley organized for editors and reporters from media houses.
He said that although the scheme can only cater for 86,000 out of the 170,000 eligible for the next service year, but it had taken necessary precautions to ensure the rest partook in the service.
The NYSC-DG said: “In the 2016 budget, provision was made for the mobilisation of a total of 210,000 corps members. However, the figure for both 2016 Batch ‘A’ and Batch ‘B’ has more than doubled the original projection.
“Like we did before the 2016 Batch ‘A’ orientation course, we have appealed to government for special intervention grant to mop up excess of this figure.
“So far, we have received the green light from the relevant government agencies to prepare for the mobilisation of all qualified prospective corps members.
“However, the limited cumulative capacity of the orientation camps nationwide necessitates a second stream orientation course for the 2016 Batch ‘B’ which is planned for January 2017.”
Kazaure also lauded President Muhammadu Buhari and some state governors, for their intervention in strengthening the operations of the NYSC.
With this, the 2016 Batch ‘B’ Stream ‘I’ orientation course is expected to commence on November 24, while the stream ‘II’ will commence in January 2017.