Former Derby County manager Steve McClaren is being interviewed today about a possible return to the iPro Stadium.
McClaren was sacked in May last year after Derby failed to reach the Championship playoffs, despite spending most of the season in the top six.
Talks began on Tuesday morning and progress has been swift. If confirmed, this will be McClaren’s second stint in charge, having been sacked after two years as manager at the iPro in 2015.
His return would be controversial as many Derby fans still blame McClaren for the team’s late failure to win promotion, saying his refusal to rule out a move to Newcastle was a distraction.
McClaren went on to become Newcastle’s head coach, three weeks after leaving Derby. His reign at the Magpies lasted less than a year and he was sacked in March this year.
Derby striker Darren Bent told Sky Sports that the return of McClaren would be welcomed by the players – but a big surprise.
“The players will be a bit baffled….because we didn’t see that coming,” he said. “From what we heard when he left it was left on quite bad terms but he was a fantastic manager.
“Anyone who watched us in that period would say we played some of the best football we had played in a long, long time so from a footballing point of view it would make sense.
“But at the same time Chris Powell has been doing a fantastic job as well and if McClaren gets the job we’d like to hope that Chris stays and helps him out as well. If he doesn’t and Chris gets it then we will be equally as happy.”