There are strong indications that the recruitment of 10,000 personnel into the Nigerian Police Force may have been suspended over alleged irregularity.
Reliable sources close to the polity told Daily Trust that the recruitment was already underway when it was discovered that the criteria set for the exercise had been abandoned.
Consequently, the Police Service Commission (PSC) – which is in charge of the recruitment process – may have placed the exercise on hold, based on an order from the Senate Police Committee.
The sources stated that the Senate Committee on Police gave the suspension order on Thursday in a letter it wrote to the commission and also forwarded to President Muhammadu Buhari.
President Buhari had ordered for the recruitment of 10,000 policemen over a year ago. But the exercise ran into a number of delays and setbacks over the past year.
After initial hiccups, the recruitment, which finally took off in August, was discovered to have been done lopsidedly.
The stakeholders had agreed that the recruitment would be based on local government areas.
Trouble however started when the commission decided to jettison the ‘modus operandi’ and base the exercise on equal number per state – citing orders from above.
Daily Post also gathered that the presidency has directed the PSC Chairman, Mike Okiro, to explain the fault pointed out by the red chamber.
Reacting to the suspension when contacted yesterday, the spokesman of the PSC, Ikechukwu Ani, said the recruitment exercise is still underway.
Ani maintained that the officials of the commission had just finished a field exercise on the recruitment process.
However, checks and recent events may have betrayed his stance as there had been no major news on the recruitment since applicants wrote their aptitude tests late August.
NOW TRENDING: FIRS 2016 Recruitment In Progress