Chilli-Eating Competition Leaves Man With Hole In His Oesophagus

share on:

An American man has ended up with an inch-wide hole in his oesophagus after eating the notoriously hot ‘ghost pepper’ during a chilli eating contest.

The unnamed man ate a hamburger laced with ghost pepper puree and began vomiting and retching violently before being rushed to the hospital. When he was admitted to the hospital, doctors found the hole in his oesophagus, and he underwent emergency surgery and remained in the hospital for 23 days.

The rupture in his oesophagus is known as ‘Boerhaave syndrome’ and it was caused by the excessive retching or vomiting.  It carries a high mortality rate and is named after the 18th-century physician whose patient died after vomiting up a gluttonous lunch.

Ghost pepper a.k.a. bhut jolokia
Ghost pepper a.k.a. bhut jolokia

The ghost pepper, or bhut jolokia, is a favorite among chilli lovers and competitive eaters and was considered the world’s hottest chilli until 2013 when it was surpassed by the Carolina Reaper pepper.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.