At least 14 members of one family have been killed in an air strike on rebel-held east Aleppo in northern Syria, bringing the death toll to 47 over the past 24 hours.
“A new massacre happened this morning when Russian warplanes bombed the Marjeh neighbourhood killing 14 people from the same family, most of them women and children,” Ibrahim Abu Leith, Aleppo-based spokesman for the White Helmets, told Al Jazeera on Monday.
Out of the 47 civilians killed, the highest number of dead were in the Qaterji neighbourhood, where Russian raids claimed 17 lives overnight, according to Rami Abdulrahman, the Syrian Observatory chief.
The White Helmets said another 25 people were killed late on Sunday in a strike on a residential building in the al-Qaterji district.
AFP gathered that the rescue team used a crane to extract a 12-year-old boy from an upper floor after part of the building collapsed on his legs, with a dead baby later carried from the rubble, with her face caked in mud.
The Russian-backed offensive to capture rebel-held eastern Aleppo has killed several hundred people since it got under way last month after the collapse of a truce brokered by Russia and the US.