Nine persons have been confirmed dead with 24 others injured after two ‘suicide bomb’ explosions ripped through the capital of Borno state, Maiduguri, in the early hours of Saturday.
The first incident of the explosion occurred at the entrance to Bakassi IDPs and the second at NNPC station along Damboa road in Maiduguri.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), while confirming the causalities, disclosed that both the deceased and the injured have been evacuated to various hospitals in the state.
Sources had earlier said that six bodies were evacuated from the two locations of the attack.
However, a spokesperson for NEMA, while confirming the death toll, said in a statement, that three more people died and 25 were injured.
“Nine persons lost their lives with 24 persons injured and evacuated to various hospitals from the two scenes of explosions in Maiduguri this early morning”, said Mr. Datti.
Also speaking on the development, in a statement, the spokesman of the Nigeria Army 7 Division, Mustapha Anka, said that eight people died and 11 injured.
The Army statement reads:
“At about 7.05am this morning, there were twin simultaneous suicide bomb explosions at the entrance of Bakassi Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp and NNPC Mega Filling Station, Damboa Road, Maiduguri.
“At the Bakassi IDPs camp, a suspected female suicide bomber ran into group of men and women at the entrance while they were coming out of the camp, killing 5 men and injured 11 women. The bodies of dead men and the injured women have been evacuated.
“At the NNPC, a female suicide bomber followed a fuel tanker in Keke NAPEP tricycle with the sole aim of gaining entry to cause maximum damage and casualty but was prevented from gaining access to the station by another vehicle. In that process, the suicide bomber exploded killing the 3 occupants of the tricycle. No reported injured persons at this instance.
“Troops and security agencies have been mobilized and the injured have been evacuated while efforts are ongoing to comb the general area as well as entries and exits of Maiduguri.
“While we commiserate with the families of the late victims of this cruel act and wish those injured speedy recovery, we would like to assure the public that efforts are o going to track those behind the dastardly acts. However, it is equally important to reiterate the need for more vigilance and security consciousness among all. Citizens are enjoined to report any suspicious persons or movements to the security agencies”.
Maiduguri, the economic hub of Borno state, has not witnessed bomb attacks in recent months.
With the twin blasts, panic and consternation have been triggered among residents who are beginning to anticipate more terrorist attacks.
Boko Haram has devastated northeast Nigeria in its quest to create an Islamist state, killing over 20,000 people and displacing 2.6 million from their homes.