Samsung has suspended sales of its new Smartphone Galaxy Note 7 worldwide after reports of the devices catching fire while charging – and is offering replacements for anyone who has already purchased one.
The giant South Korean company confirmed that it had been alerted to 35 cases of the newly launched devices exploding while being charged, worldwide.
Koh Dong-jin, president of Samsung’s mobile business, said on Friday, two weeks after the Note 7’s launch:
“We have received several reports of battery explosions on the Note 7… and it has been confirmed that it was a battery cell problem. There was a tiny problem in the manufacturing process so it was very difficult to find out.”
He however failed to mention the name of the supplier of the faulty battery, but said that Note 7s sold in China used batteries from a different supplier, and the batteries were unaffected.
A statement issued as regards to the development on Friday from the company’s Newsroom reads:
“Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue.
To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7.
For customers who already have Galaxy Note7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks.
We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.”