Six persons have been killed by cholera in Isolo Local Government Area of Lagos State after eating contaminated Abacha, a local salad, in Nigeria.
The African Salad is a mixture of cassava, palm oil, garden egg and pepper, among others.
Speaking on the development on Thursday, the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, noted that 39 other persons were under observation and receiving treatment at public and private health facilities in Isolo.
He said: “Six deaths were recorded among the 45 cases. Majority of the patients did not present with the classical rice-water stool, rather they presented with atypical diarrhoea and vomiting.
“After a thorough analysis of the ano-rectal swabs that were collected from 15 cases, vibrio cholerae was confirmed and found to be the Ogawa strain of the virus.
“Twenty-two of the 26 that were being managed at the Isolo General Hospital and the Lagos Mainland Hospital have been discharged, one died, while three are still on admission at the Lagos Mainland Hospital. The three patients are still on admission but they are in stable condition.”
The commissioner also revealed that the water and food analysis done at the Lagos State Drug Quality Control Laboratory showed that Abacha, which was consumed by many of the victims, was the source of the infection.
He continued: “The main suspected source of infection is the salad called Abacha, a staple food that is consumed regularly in the area. Samples of the local salad and the well water they consume in the area revealed the presence of vibrio cholerae, Salmonella species and E.coli in Abacha and the water sample taken from one of the two wells in the area.”