The Kano State Government on Friday announced that it had started medical screening of 1,000 prospective couples for the next Mass Wedding Programme in the state.
The state Hisbah board, which is in-charge of the programmes, had stated that it received no fewer than 4, 395 prospective couples for the registration.
In a chat with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kano, Dr Abba Sufi, the Director General of the Board, explained that the screening which started last week was aimed at ensuring the health status of the couples before the marriage.
He said: “The medical screening started about eight days ago and it is intended to ascertain the health status of each and everyone of them.
“The screening is mandatory as it will enable the board and each partner to know the health status their partners before the marriage is conducted.”
Sufi said the medical screening was in preparation for the conduct of the programme scheduled to take place after the Eid-el-Kabir celebration.
“The state government has planned to conduct the programme after Sallah, hence the decision to start the screening of the couples in time,” Sufi said.