Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has arrived for his appeal hearing against a six-year ban from football on Thursday, pledging to accept the verdict of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
“I will accept the verdict,” Blatter, 80, told journalists around 8 a.m. (0600 GMT) outside the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne, Switzerland.
“I do hope it will be positive for me, but we are footballers. We learn to win but also we learn to lose,” he added.
Blatter’s statement on Thursday suggests he would not pursue a federal case. Federal judges can intervene only if legal process is abused.
The three-member panel for Blatter’s case is expected to respect the verdict of a separate panel which judged Platini.
A failure to overturn the ban for Blatter would likely end his hope to one day be named FIFA honorary president by its 211 member federations.
READ ALSO: Sepp Blatter Stripped Of honorary Degree
The case that triggered Blatter’s downfall first emerged in September of last year, when Swiss prosecutors said they were investigating Blatter over a suspect two million Swiss franc payment ($2 million, 1.8 million euros) he authorised in 2011 to his one-time heir apparent, Michel Platini.
Platini, the former head of European football, was also sanctioned by FIFA over the funds.