Talk show host, Ellen Degeneres has been called racist for posting a meme depicting her riding on Usain Bolt’s back.
The 58-year-old tweeted, “This is how I’m running errands from now on,” alongside the photograph of Bolt’s epic-winning 100 meter men’s final sprint where he was casually smiling at the camera to finish first.
Her post however well intentioned was met with criticism as Degeneres was attacked for being “racist” and “insensitive”.
The critics wrote:
- You thought it’d be funny to post a pic of yourself riding on the back of a Black man? Nope. Delete this racist garbage.
- So the first thing that pops in your head when looking at this pic is “oh let me jump onto his back like he’s a common mule”?
- An apology won’t do. This is utterly f*cking ridiculous. How dare you!?!?
- So riding on his back like a mule, a horse as some form of property is fun to you… Ok.
- Dear @TheEllenShow: Whatever intern thought this tweet was a good idea should be fired. Immediately.
Following the backlash, DeGeneres took to Twitter where she informed her fans and everyone calling her racist, “I am highly aware of the racism that exists in our country. It is the furthest thing from who I am.”
Some really didn’t see anything wrong with the image as one user wrote, “@TheEllenShow @usainbolt literally I’m black and don’t take offense to this she’s basically complimenting him on his speed and stamina”. While another tweeted, “@TheEllenShow I’m not offended.”
Usain Bolt even retweeted the photograph.
The underlying query therefore is, “Do you think that image is racist?”. Hit the comment section with your thoughts.