Death Toll In Earthquake Rises To 267; 400 Injured As Italy Declares State Of Emergency

share on:
Death Toll In Earthquake Rises To 267; 400 Injured As Italy Declares State Of Emergency

Italy has declared a state of emergency after the devastating earthquake on Wednesday which killed at least 267 persons.

This is even as almost 400 persons are currently being attended to in hospitals.

While declaring the state of emergency, the Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, promised 50 million euros (£42.7m) to help rebuild devastated towns.

“We want those communities to have the chance of a future and not just memories,” he told reporters in Rome on Thursday.

The Wednesday’s strong quake was said to have led to aftershocks, which further caused destruction across the region.

Officials said more than 900 aftershocks have been registered since the initial 6.2-magnitude quake struck in the early hours of August 23, with some 57 of them hitting since midnight on Friday.

READ ALSO: 10 Dead After Strong Earthquake Brings Down Buildings In Italy

It was gathered that the aftershocks disrupted rescue efforts today as teams continued their bids to save people trapped under the rubble.

Fire-fighters and rescue crews using sniffer dogs have been working in teams around the hardest-hit areas of the country, ITV reports.

“We will work relentlessly until the last person is found, and make sure no one is trapped,” said rescue team spokesman Lorenzo Botti.

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said extra staff had been sent to the region to provide support to Britons affected.

He said: “My deepest sympathies are with the Italian people and everyone affected by the terrible earthquake that struck central Italy.”

The Government has also offered “any assistance that we can” to the Italian authorities.

Families prepared to bury their dead, with the first funerals set for Friday morning, including that of two children and their grandparents who died in Pescara del Tronto.

The European country has been accused of having a poor record when it comes to rebuilding after quakes.

No less than 8,300 people who were forced to leave their houses after a deadly earthquake in L’Aquila in 2009 are still living in temporary accommodation.

Datboyjerry

Datboyjerry

I am but your herald boy in the art of the pen.. An eccentric Environmental Biologist smouldered in the glorious epiphany of online journalism. If you ever find my article unduly insipid, sue me and i’ll refund you...

Leave a Reply