After solving a total of 17 mathematics questions in 60 seconds, a pupil of Scholars Universal Secondary School located in Ota, Ogun State, Oluwatunmise Idowu, has set a new record in the annual Cowbellpedia Mathematics Television quiz.
The 13-year-old, mathematics guru broke the record after defeating her contemporaries to emerge the best in the Group B stage of the on-going competition.
In her quest to setting the record, she had to slug it out with:
- Ayomide Nafisat Abdulwaheed, a JSS 3 pupil of Reality High School, Osogbo, Osun State;
- Olajide Osoba of Atlantic Hall, Epe, Lagos State;
- Edidiong Okon of Topfaith International Secondary School, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State;
- Charles Adesoba of Petoa City College, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State;
- Vanessa Ibol of NOWA Secondary School, New Kashi, Nassarawa State.
Idowu’s new record places her ahead of the previous 15 questions in 60 seconds record which was set last year by Ayodeji Akinkuowo of Adeyemi Demonstration College, Ondo State.
Apparently elated, the undisputed genius, who revealed that she had been spending four hours every day practising Mathematics, said:
“I want to win. My parents want me to win, just like my school also wants me victorious. Winning the crown will be the greatest gift I want from God this year. Apart from the one million naira prize, the bragging right in my school and among my friends will be inestimable. I can’t wait for the glorious moment. I pray for God’s favour.”
The competition is an annual programme organised by Promasidor Nigeria Limited. The phase won by Idowu involved a test of contestants’ speed and accuracy as they were required to answer as many questions as possible in 60 seconds.