The Nigerian Army has announced the rescue of a commanding officer and 5 other soldiers declared missing after an ambush by terror group, Boko Haram, at Guru Gongon in Borno state on Wednesday.
“It will be recalled that some of our troops were missing in action after an ambush at Guro Gongon on July 20, 2016,” the spokesperson for the Army, Col. Usman Sani, said on Saturday, in a statement released.
According to the acting director of the army public relations, the soldiers sustained injuries but are now in stable condition at the military’s medical facilities.
His words: “Consequently, concerted efforts were initiated to search for and rescue them. The measures include the use of air assets, Special Forces and patrols.
“We wish to inform you that the search party has this morning found 5 more officers and soldiers that were declared missing in action, including the unit’s Commanding Officer.
“Although they are in a stable condition, they have been moved to our Medical facilities for medical care.”
Last week Wednesday, a commanding officer, three officers and 16 soldiers were declared missing in action after joining the civilian JTF in clearing operation at Gongon village in Alagarno general area.
“Own troops destroyed BHT camps and captured a gun truck mounted with an Anti-Aircraft gun, an RPG tube, a Light Machine Gun, 3 AK-47 rifles and other logistics items of the BHT,” the army had said earlier.
“However, when own troops were returning to their defensive location, they ran into an ambush by BHT who came to reinforce their fleeing comrades. The troops fought back gallantly killing many BHT.
“Sadly, 16 soldiers and 3 CJTF were wounded in action. Some others, including the commanding officer, are missing in action.”
It said a search party was immediately dispatched to find the “three officers and 16 soldiers still missing”.