The National Examination Council (NECO) says it has adjusted the National Common Entrance Examination for admission into Federal Government Colleges in line with the education minister’s directive.
NECO’s FCT Zonal Coordinator, Abdul Mustapha, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Abuja said that the first and second tests had been collapsed into one.
The Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, on Monday announced the cancellation of the interview test for NCCE organised by NECO.
Adamu directed the council to strengthen its examination processes with a view to achieving a quality and credible NCCE for admission into unity schools at the first test.
According to the minister, whatever inputs that are needed to be made into the first examination should be done.
He added that multiple examinations did not necessarily translate into the admission of quality pupils into secondary schools.
“In line with the minister’s directive, NECO has already taken care of the technical aspect of the examination by re-adjusting the first test.
“The first test, which is mainly achievement test written as paper one and the second test which is mainly aptitude test written as paper two, are to be written at one sitting within the same time frame of the existing timetable arrangement.
“So, from NECO’s perspective, the one exam will technically yield the same result,’’ he said.
Mustapha said that the minister’s directive was sequel to an earlier submission by NECO’s Registrar, Prof. Abdulrashid Garba, to combine the two tests into one composite examination.