The Islamic State (ISIS) has on Tuesday claimed responsibility for its first attack in Germany after a 17-year-old Afghan attacked passengers on a regional train with ax and knife before he was killed by the police.
“The perpetrator of the stabbing attack in Germany was one of the fighters of the Islamic State,” the Amaq news agency said, citing a “security source.”
“He carried out this operation responding to calls to target countries of the coalition fighting IS,” it added, referring to the US-led coalition targeting the jihadist group in Syria and Iraq.
The announcement, in a bulletin issued in Arabic and English via its Amaq News Agency, came after German authorities said that investigators had found a hand-drawn flag of the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, in the room of the Afghan teenager, along with notes in Pashto indicating that he might have been self-radicalized.
“It is quite probable that this was an Islamist attack,” said a ministry spokesman, adding that the assailant had shouted “Allahu akbar” (God is greatest).
Five people were injured in the attack on Monday evening before the attacker – a teenage asylum seeker – was shot dead by police.
The attacker was a 17-year-old Afghan refugee, who had arrived as an unaccompanied minor in Germany and was staying with a foster family in the region.
More than 60,000 unaccompanied minors were registered as asylum seekers in Germany last year, and more than half of the approximately 15,000 in Bavaria were from Afghanistan.