Nigerians are becoming increasingly worried, disappointed and peeved with President Muhammadu Buhari, over his failure to make good on his promise to reveal details of stolen loots recovered from corrupt officials.
On May 14, the president, while attending the anti-corruption summit in London, had stated that he would personally disclose the details of all recovered stolen public funds and individuals who plundered the country’s resources.
He said: “So far, what has come out, what has been recovered in whatever currency from each ministries, departments and individuals, I intend on the 29th to speak on this because all Nigerians are getting from the mass media because of the number of people arrested either by the EFCC, DSS. But we want to make a comprehensive report on the 29th,” Mr. Buhari said while attending the anti-corruption summit in London.
On Sunday morning, May 29, 2016, during his nationwide broadcast, the president did not speak on it, but said:
“We are also engaged in making recoveries of stolen assets some of which are in different jurisdictions. The processes of recovery can be tedious and time consuming, but today I can confirm that thus far: significant amount of assets have been recovered. A considerable portion of these are at different stages of recovery.”
Buhari then said he had instructed the Ministry of Information to periodically publish details on the assets recovered so far.
“Full details of the status and categories of the assets will now be published by the Ministry of Information and updated periodically. When forfeiture formalities are completed these monies will be credited to the treasury and be openly and transparently used in funding developmental projects and the public will be informed,” Mr. Buhari said.
Speaking on Channels Television on Sunday evening, Lai Mohammed, the Minister of Information, told Nigerians that the details would be published before the end of this week.
“We will get the list but not today; before the end of the week. But I must say not with the names,” he said.
Corroborating with the minister of information, a moment later, the presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, said on Twitter:
“The minister should be ready with this (details of recovered assets) when work resumes, possibly Wednesday or Thursday.”
On Thursday, millions of Nigerians stayed glued to the radio and TV as they were expecting to hear the announcement as promised by their leader.
As at 9:00pm yesterday, Nigerians waited and waited in vain for the announcement of the details of the stolen assets recovered and also the looters of the nation’s coffer.
As at 2:00pm on Friday, June 3, 2016, Nigerians are still waiting in apparent futility.
Thursday’s failure made it the second time the president would renege on a promise he made to the citizens of Nigeria.