30 Nigerien and two Nigerian soldiers have been reported killed with 67 others wounded in a clash with Boko Haram militants on Niger’s border with Nigeria, Niger’s defence ministry said on Saturday.
In the Republic of Niger, “hundreds of assailants” attacked a military post in the town of Bosso on Friday evening, the defence ministry said in a statement that gave a “provisional toll” of 30 Nigerien and two Nigerian soldiers killed and 67 wounded.
“On the enemy’s side, several dead and injured were taken away,” the ministry said.
“Boko Haram elements effectively took control of the town temporarily, but now they were dislodged,” a security source from the ministry said.
“Our defence and security forces carried out a counter-attack this morning which enabled them to retake all positions in the town of Bosso.
“The situation is under control and calm has returned.”
Speaking on the matter, a former MP Elhaj Aboubacar said:
“They drove up at twilight, shouting Allahu Akbar (God is Great), they fired a lot of shots and torched many places in Bosso.”
“We don’t know where our military went, but one thing is for sure, Boko Haram were able to do what they liked until dawn.”
Since February last year, Niger has been troubled by Boko Haram attacks in its southeast region.
The Islamists frequently stage cross-border raids from their stronghold in neighbouring Nigeria.
The insurgency has left at least 20,000 people dead in Nigeria and made more than 2.6 million homeless.