The U.N. Refugee Agency and Italian authorities say they fear that at least 700 migrants have died in three separate shipwrecks in the Mediterranean since last Wednesday.
BBC quoted the United Nation Humanitarian Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), as saying that the boats the migrants were travelling on sank south of Italy on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as they tried to reach Europe in unworthy sea vessels.
It was learnt that the spring weather had led to a surge of people attempting the perilous crossing from Africa to Europe.
The route has become a key migration route since a deal curbed numbers sailing to Greece.
Speaking on the shipwrecks, Carlotta Sami, spokeswoman for UNHCR, said almost 100 migrants are still missing from a smugglers’ boat which capsized on Wednesday.
She noted that about 550 other migrants are also missing from a boat which overturned on Thursday morning after leaving the Libyan port of Sabratha on Wednesday.
Survivors said the boat had no engine and was being towed by a second smuggling vessel.
In a third shipwreck on Friday, 135 people were rescued, 45 bodies pulled from the water and an unspecified number of others are missing.
Meanwhile, the MSF Sea group suggested the death toll from the last week could be as high as 900, as survivors were being taken to the Italian ports of Taranto and Pozzallo.