Here are the top stories you need this week
Police IG Orders Demotion Of DPO For Beating Traffic Warden To Coma
The Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase, has on Thursday ordered the immediate demotion and transfer of the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), in charge of Ikenne Division area of Ogun State, Patrick Onwu, who beat up a female traffic warden for flagging down his private car at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC filling station, IBB Boulevard, Abeokuta, last week, PM News reports.
Onwu had on Wednesday pounced on a certain female traffic officer, Inspector Anifat Bello to coma for allegedly stopping his private vehicle.
It was gathered that the DPO, who was on mufti while violating the traffic law, drove into a nearby filling station, parked and changed into a police uniform then went back and dealt with her severely.
Presidency Slams UK Telegraph For Accusing Buhari Of Fighting Political Foes With Foreign Aid
The presidency, yesterday night, reacted to a piece that was written by Mr. Con Coughlin of UK Telegraph, which claimed that President Muhammadu Buhari was fighting his political opponents with foreign financial aids meant to fight insurgency in Nigeria.
The reaction to the story was contained in a strong worded statement issued by the the Senior Special Assistant to the President on media and publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu.
Read statement below.
“Our attention has been drawn to a piece published on April 12, 2016, in The Telegraph (London) paper, by one Con Coughlin (identified as ‘Defence Editor’), and titled, ‘Nigeria using UK aid to persecute president’s political foes rather to fight Boko Haram.’
Nigerians React To Conditions Attached To China’s $6bn Loan To Nigeria
Addressing pressmen after the conclusion of a meeting in connection to that, Onyeama said that the deal does not necessarily mean that China will credit Nigerian banks with the money; rather it will be tied to specific projects and will only be released when it’s time to cash back the projects.
He said, “It is a credit that is on the table as soon as we identify the projects, we access the facility,”
Furthermore, no agreements were signed. Once the Nigerian government identifies a project, the Chinese counterpart will then provide the funding.
“It won’t need an agreement to be signed; it is just to identify the projects and we will access it,” Onyeama said.
The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has on Monday, dismissed the allegations by the Department of State Services (DSS) that they murdered and buried five ‘’Hausa-Fulani” in Abia state, adding that it has given the country’s spy agency a seven-day ultimatum to apologise for the false accusation.
This is just as the secessionist group, challenged the APC Federal Government and their DSS to prove to the world with the evidences how they killed five Fulani herdsmen and dumped their bodies in shallow graves.
In the message, which was conveyed in a statement issued after the meeting in Nnewi by the IPOB spokesman, Mr. Emma Powerful, the group questioned why the APC led Federal Government was worried when the cattle rustlers were killed but never reacted when same herdsmen brutally killed and ransacked villages in Benue and Enugu states.
Enough Is Enough! Senate Gives Buhari Final Warning To Sign 2016 Budget
The Nigerian Senate has on Monday given the presidency what it described as a final warning, following its dealings with the legislative branch of government on matters relating to the 2016 budget, adding that it would no longer tolerate the presidency blaming the legislature for its woes.
This is coming against the backdrop of a simmering feud between President Muhammadu Buhari and National Assembly over the Appropriation Bill, as the Senate accused the Presidency of “gross incompetence”, “arrogance” and “lack of coordination.”
It was gathered that the rationale behind the rift was the removal of the Calabar – Lagos rail project from the final budget.
Officials of the presidency, yesterday, affirmed that the rail project was in the budget but removed by the committees of Appropriation in the Senate and the House of Representatives.
National ID Won’t Replace INEC Voter’s Card In 2019 – NIMC
The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has on Friday announced that the voters’ cards issued by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) would not be substituted with the electronic national identification cards anytime soon.
This announcement was conveyed by the Head, Corporate Communications, NIMC, Chika Ogbonna.
The announcement came on the heels of reports making the round, which claimed that the Delta State Coordinator of the NIMC had stated that the national ID would replace the INEC issued voter cards in 2019.
Ogbonna, who said that the reporters quoted the state coordinator out of context, added that the electronic ID card issued by the NIMC had a number of applets built into it, which made it capable and available for use in up to 13 use cases and scenarios.
Troops Repel Boko Haram Attack, Slaughter 34 Terrorists And Rescue 455 Hostages
Troops of the 121 Task Force Battalion at Pulka, have succeeded in resisting an attack by terror group, Boko Haram, who raided in 5 gun trucks, motorcycles and 2 Golf cars laden with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) from Sambisa forest axis on Friday.
The ever alert and vigilant troops rose to the occasion and successfully killed 7 Boko Haram terrorists, wounded several others and recovered 4 AK-47 rifles, 3 AK-47 rifle magazines and 92 rounds of 7.62mm (NATO) belt ammunition.
Similarly, troops of 3 Battalion apprehended a suspected Boko Haram terrorists’ spy near the Battalion Headquarters at Gamboru Ngala.
Read: Troops Repel Boko Haram Attack, Slaughter 34 Terrorists And Rescue 455 Hostages