The organised labour in Kogi state has on Monday threatened to resume industrial action over the state government non-payment of October and November salaries to the workers employed between January and December 2015.
This disclosure was conveyed in a statement issued by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), the Trade Union Congress (TUC) and the Joint Negotiating Council (JNC) at the end of an emergency meeting in Lokoja.
The statement, which was jointly signed by Mr Onuh Edoka, the state NLC Chairman; Mr Ojo Ranti Matthew, Chairman of TUC and Mr Aaron Akeji, the Chairman of JNC, ‘collectively’ condemned the payment of salaries in piecemeal.
The statement also described as unacceptable, the refusal of the state government to pay the November 2015 salary to workers employed between January and December 2015, having worked for the said period.
The statement reads in part: “The state government is claiming that the employment of the concerned workers was irregular, since there was an embargo on employment in the state.’’
In a reaction, the State Governor, Yahaya Bello, begged the workers not to blame his government for the failure of the past administrations, saying he had been able to offset two months’ salaries within his first 57 days in office.
“Labour was on an indefinite strike before the inauguration of the present administration but the governor intervened to settle the industrial dispute,” he said.
Speaking through his Chief Press Secretary, Kingsley Fanwo, Bello said he would undertake a holistic appraisal of the situation after the ongoing screening exercise with a view to addressing the salary issue once and for all.