At least 800 members of the dreaded Boko Haram sect have surrendered to the Nigerian military in the last three weeks, the Defence authorities said.
This was confirmed to the Punch Newspaper on Wednesday by the Acting Director, Defence Information, Brig. Gen. Rabe Abubakar in Abuja.
He said, “I can confirm that about 800 of the Boko Haram members have surrendered to the military.”
The statement came a day after the Defence Headquarters announced the establishment of a rehabilitation camp for former Boko Haram militants.
The Army did not give details of how the camp was run, but said insurgents would undergo vocational training and eventually be reintegrated into society.
Boko Haram, whose name means “Western education is forbidden”, has since 2009 killed around 20,000 people and rendered over 2.5 million homeless.
Responsible for the abduction of over 270 schoolgirls from a school in Chibok in April 2014, the ferocious death cult had previously pledged allegiance to ISIS.
According to a report from the Institute for Economics and Peace released towards the end of last year, Boko Haram overtook Isis in 2014 to become the deadliest terror group in the world.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army said on Wednesday that it had rescued 11,595 captives of the Boko Haram insurgents in the North-East in the last one month.