The Positive And Negative Effects Of Smoking Marijuana – Tomorrow is the 20th of April, a day that has now become synonymous with people coming together to celebrate and consume marijuana.
The practice originated in North America, and has since spread to other parts of the world. Before you go ahead to celebrate however, see some of the effects of marijuana below!
- Marijuana is used to treat and prevent glaucoma, a disease which causes blindness.
- One of the active chemicals in marijunana, cannabidiol, has been shown to stop cancer and slow the growth of tumors in the brain, breast and lungs. It is also reported to restore lung function in tobacco smokers.
- Another active chemical in marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) has been shown to slow down the formation of amyloid plaques that cause Alzheimer’s disease.
- THC has been shown to be able to bind to brain cells that control excitability, thus preventing seizures in epileptic people.
- Marijuana has been reported to relieve pain and inflammation in patients with arthritis, and also helps in aiding sleep.
- It has been shown to reduce tremors in patients with Parkinson’s, also helping to improve their motor skills.
- The area of damage in the brain caused by a stroke is reportedly reduced by marijuana consumption, and it also helps against other brain traumas like concussions.
- Marijuana has been recommended for people who suffer nightmares, and people with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Marijuana presents a number of short-term effects: These include sensory distortion, panic and anxiety. There is also poor co-ordination of movement.
- Marijuana is also said to cause difficulty in thinking and problem-solving. Memory troubles are also associated with marijuana consumption.
- A study has linked marijuana consumption with lung damage, with long-term smokers having an increased risk of bronchitis.
- Marijuana is also said to suppress the immune system, reducing resistance to common illnesses like cold.
- The long term smoking of marijuana has also been linked with a decrease in brain function, with IQ declines seen in cannabis addicts.
- Marijuana reportedly causes deformation of sperm cells. It is said to also reduce male sex hormones, with all this leading to sterility.
- The heart rate is reportedly increased up to 3 times after smoking, and this puts users at an increased risk of suffering heart attacks.
- Marijuana consumption by pregnant women is said to lead to undersized, underweight babies with reduced initiative and lesser mental abilities.
- Temporary hallucinations are a common symptom of marijuana use. It also causes paranoia, and worsens symptoms in patients with schizophrenia
So there you have it, guys! Happy 4/20!