N3bn Fraud: ICPC Freezes Accounts Of SURE-P Directors

share on:

The Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has frozen the accounts of some directors of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P) which is now defunct, while some vehicles had been seized from them.

This is just as the anti-corruption commission has begun a probe into the activities of directors and senior officials of the SURE-P created by the immediate past administration of Goodluck Jonathan.

It was gathered that the probe was in connection with a N3bn fraud allegedly involving the Federal Ministry of Finance and the SURE-P Graduate Internship Scheme.

The money, it was learnt, was meant to pay the allowances of 17,500 participants for eight months, which never got to them.

A reliable source in the ICPC on Wednesday, said that the probe started after the commission received information that huge funds were embezzled by the officials.

“We have frozen the bank accounts of some of the officials while we have started seizing some vehicles from them. Our plan is to seize about 200. Presently, we have seized about 30,” the source said.

It would be recalled that the Jonathan administration established SURE-P in February 2012 following nationwide protests caused by the then increase in the prices of petroleum products.

The programme was, however scrapped by President Muhammadu Buhari in November 2015.

Datboyjerry

Datboyjerry

I am but your herald boy in the art of the pen.. An eccentric Environmental Biologist smouldered in the glorious epiphany of online journalism.

If you ever find my article unduly insipid, sue me and i’ll refund you…

Leave a Reply