Aside the six corpses that were recovered from the rubble where a five-storey building collapsed in Lekki, Lagos, on Tuesday morning, there are indications that sixteen more corpses may have been recovered and taken to the morgue late Tuesday, while 13 others were rushed to hospital.
The collapsed building is opposite Oando filling station by Chisco bus stop along the Lekki-Epe expressway corridor.
There are also sketchy reports from several pressmen that 18 and not 16 corpses were recovered on Wednesday, 9th of March, while “about 5o” are still trapped inside the five-storey building.
“We recovered four more bodies today when we resumed operations, bringing the total death toll so far to 22,” Ibrahim Farinloye, from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), told AFP.
“Some of the 13 people picked up alive from the wreckage of the building have been taken to the general hospital on Lagos Island, treated and discharged.”
Speaking on the collapse, a witness, Chukwu Obazor, said that the building collapsed at about 3:30am.
“I work in the site as a labourer. We were inside when the wind started to blow, then it rained around few minutes to 3. The building collapsed around 3:30am,” he said.
“We came out and the people inside the building came out also, but when the rain started, they decided to go back inside. Around 3:30am, we noticed that the building had collapsed. It didn’t shake or give any sign so we were confused and we were running around to see if there was anyone trying to come out but we didn’t see anyone. I called emergency around 4am and went to pick the fire service at the junction. There were about 50 people in the building, there are still people in the building.”
“There is a guy there with his wife and his son; he is also a worker. I hope they can all be rescued.”