A suspected female suicide bomber, who was intercepted by the Cameroonian Army on Friday before she could blow herself up, has claimed to be one of the schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram in the Nigerian town of Chibok in 2014.
According to military sources, two female bombers carrying explosives were caught by local self-defense forces in the village of Limani, in an area of northern Cameroon.
The suicide bombers were then handed over to the Cameroonian troops which are currently working alongside with a multi-national force set up to put an end to terrorism.
Speaking on the matter, 2 military sources confirmed that the captured suicide bomber had claimed to have been one of the Chibok schoolgirls.
“We need a few days to be able to confirm this information. We have to debrief all the men who were present and interrogate the two girls before we can say anything,” the source said.
A local government administrator, Raymond Roksdo also said: “One of them indeed declared that she is one of the Chibok hostages. She is around 15. We are now verifying, because on the Nigerian side they have the names and photos of these girls.”
In April 2014, some members of the ferocious death cult raided the school in Chibok, Borno state, while the girls were taking exams.
They loaded 270 of them onto trucks, though around 50 escaped shortly afterwards.
Former president, Goodluck Jonathan was criticised by many for his slow reaction to the Chibok abductions.
However, Muhammadu Buhari, who defeated Jonathan in an election, last year, ordered a new investigation into the kidnappings in January.