Following an allegation that N2billion bribe was traced to his bank account, Justice Abdul Kafarati of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, has on Tuesday, withdrawn from a suit seeking to stop the ongoing trial of the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, before the Code of Conduct Tribunal, (CCT).
The development came against the backdrop of reports accusing the judge of being compromised by Saraki in stalling the judgment that was to be delivered in the case on Tuesday.
Justice Abdu-Kafarati lamented that his integrity had been maligned by the reports and that he was left with no option than to hands-off from the case.
He said: “The two publications made allegations against my person, alleging that I have been compromised with N2bn. They also alleged that I am known in the legal cycle for being susceptible to corruption.
“What this has done is to put my integrity to question. I however regard the publishers as people of unsound mind. They know that what they said is not true. They just derive pleasure when they malign the integrity of a judicial office.
“It is unfortunate that we don’t have the appropriate laws to take care of this. As it stands, I am caught between two devils, if the judgment goes in favour of Saraki now they will say that I have been compromised, on the other hand, if it goes against him they will say I have been intimidated.
“In light of the allegation, the right and appropriate thing to do is to disqualify myself and return the case-file to the Chief Judge for re-assignment to another Judge”.
It was gathered that the decision resulted to a war-of-words between Saraki’s lawyer, Dr. Kayode Oluyode and EFCC lawyer, Mr. Adebisi Adeniyi.