A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has once again adjourned the trial of the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki (retd) till February 4, 2016.
Mr. Dasuki, who was accused by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) of diverting N19 billion funds meant for the procurement of arms during his tenure as the national security adviser, is also facing various charges in two different courts in Abuja.
The counsel to Nigeria’s anti-graft agency (EFCC), Rotimi Jacobs disclosed to the judge incharge of the trial, Justice Husseini Yusuf on Friday, January 22, that an application had earlier been made by Mr. Dasuki through his clients for stay of proceedings in court.
“I’m not unmindful that the first defendant filed an application urging your lordship to prohibit the prosecution to proceed with this charge or stay the proceedings,” Jacobs said.
However, Mr. Dasuki’s counsel, Joseph Daudu, opposed that the details in the said application should be strongly evaluated, as it contained an abuse of the rules of court.
“As far as we are concerned it is our duty to ensure that the orders of this court are obeyed,” Daudu said.
The judge, Mr. Yusuf, who therefore ruled that the matter could not be heard yet, adjourned the case to Thursday, February 4.
“Having heard all parties, I can say with all sense of notice that the matter cannot be heard today,” he said.
According to Justice Yusuf, the adjournment will allow the court time to go through all submissions made by the counsels.