President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Mrs Maryam Uwais, as his Special Adviser for Social Protection Plan.
The newly appointed adviser, who is an Abuja-based lawyer and activist, is the wife of a former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mohammed Lawal Uwais.
It was learnt that she has been deployed to the office of Vice President Yemi Osibajo, where she is coordinating the administration’s social protection schemes, including a N60billion micro-credit scheme for artisans and market women.
Maryam Uwais is a legal practitioner and human rights activist with over 20 years cognate law practice experience including the Kano State Ministry of Justice and Nigerian Law Reform Commission.
Mrs. Maryam Uwais, MFR served as a Principal Partner of Wali Uwais & Co, an Abuja-based law firm.
She was appointed a member of the National Job Creation Committee and served on the Acting President of Nigeria’s Presidential Advisory Council.
She founded the Isa Wali Empowerment Initiative in December 2009, which targets the conditions of women and children in education, healthcare and empowerment.
Uwais has also worked as a consultant to the Open Society Initiative for West Africa, UNICEF, the World Bank, and the British Department for International Development (DfID).
She is a member of the BringBackOurGirls Group (BBOG), pressing for the release of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls.
She was before her appointment a Non-Executive Director and Member of Remuneration Committee, Stanbic IBTC Holdings PLC.
She obtained a certificate in Advanced Practice and Procedure in 1985 and another in Legal Drafting in 1989 from the Nigeria Institute for Advanced Legal Studies. Mrs. Uwais was educated at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria where she bagged an LLM in 1985. Admitted to the Nigerian Bar in 1981.
• Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Kaduna State – LL. B Hons, (1980)
• Nigerian Law School, V.I Lagos – BL (1981)
• Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State – LL.M (1985)
• Nigerian Institute for Advanced Legal Studies – Certificate in Legal Drafting, (1989)
• Nigerian Institute for Advanced Legal Studies- Certificate in Advanced Practice and Procedure, (1995)
• College of Law, England and Wales – International Practice Diploma (IBA) in International Business Organisations, (2003)
• Associate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK) (2006)
• Postgraduate Diploma in Islamic Banking and Insurance (2009)